One of my FAVORITE healthy tips is “good, better, best.” It’s especially helpful for people who have cravings for sweets or salty snacks. The goal is to replace less healthy foods – the ones that zap your energy or contribute to inflammation, like candy, cookies, frozen coffee drinks, ice cream – and make good, better and best choices instead. Here’s a recipe for one of my top good-better-best swaps for ice-cream lovers: Frozen Banana “Ice Cream!” It’s a good choice!
Frozen Banana Ice Cream!
- 2 – 8 very ripe bananas (depending on the number of servings), peeled, cut into chunks and frozen overnight (6-8 hours)
- 2 TBSP almond OR coconut milk
- 1 – 2 TBSP almond butter (optional) makes it Frozen Banana Almond Butter Ice Cream : )
Remove bananas from the freezer and thaw 5-7 minutes. Place bananas in a food processor or blender, add your choice of almond OR coconut milk, and puree until you achieve a thick, soft-serve ice-cream consistency. That’s it! Seriously! Scoop into small bowls or cups and serve right away.
Toppings – it’s always good to have options!
- Frozen blueberries
- Sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
- Cacao nibs
- Goji berries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Drizzle ½ tsp maple syrup
- Drizzle ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Cacao Chocolate sauce (see recipe below)
*Cacao Chocolate sauce:
- 4 TBSP of Cacao powder
- 3 TBSP of agave nectar
- 1 TBSP of coconut oil or coconut milk
Mix ingredients together until it forms your desired consistency for chocolate sauce.